Congratulations to former Royals players Braeden Tuck and Alex Young – who are both nominated for the prestigious Hobey Baker Award!
Braeden Tuck Highlights:
- Atlantic Hockey Rookie of the Year Named to All-Atlantic Hockey Rookie Team 2019/20
- Led Sacred Heart freshman in scoring with 5 goals, 23 assists for 28 points
- Second in Atlantic Hockey in assists
- Scored first NCAA career goal against Air Force on Nov. 1, 2019
- Tallied three points in the Nov. 1/19 game with a goal and two assists
- Named Atlantic Hockey Rookie of the Month in November 2019
- Played for the Trail Smoke Eaters in the BCHL from 2016-2019
- Captain of Trail Smoke Eaters 2018-2019 season
- Played for the Calgary Royals from 2011 – 2015
Alex Young Highlights:
- Freshman – currently tops the Colgate Raiders with his 12 points in 13 games played
- Ranks ninth nationally for NCAA with his 0.92 points per game of all rookie players.
- Played for the AJHL’s Canmore Eagles from 2017 – 2020
- Totaled 206 points in 172 regular season games in the AJHL with 91 goals and 115 assists
- Served as an alternate captain for the 2019-20 season at Canmore
- Named to the AJHL South Division All-Star Team in both 2018-19 and 2019-20
- AJHL Rookie of the Year in 2017-18
- Played for the Calgary Royals from 2014 – 2017
Daily fan voting for the award is now open at:
Awarded annually to college hockey’s top player, the Hobey Baker’s fan voting runs from now until Sunday, March 7 at midnight. Phase two of fan balloting will come from the list of top-10 Hobey Baker finalists beginning March 18 through March 28.
ABOUT THE HOBEY
Award criteria include candidates exhibiting the exceptional character traits of the award’s namesake, Hobey Baker. A legendary American hero, Baker was a World War I fighter pilot and was known as America’s greatest amateur athlete in his day, excelling at hockey and football at Princeton University. Award candidates must demonstrate strength of character both on and off the ice, contribute to the integrity of his team and display outstanding skills in all phases of the game. Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and sportsmanship.
The 2021 Hobey Baker Award winner will be announced from a field of three Hobey Hat Trick finalists on Friday, April 9, 2021 during the NCAA Frozen Four Championship in Pittsburgh, Pa. The award ceremony will be broadcast nationally on NHL Network and streamed live at hobeybaker.com.